Sunday, April 12, 2015

Portfolio Index

Welcome to my portfolio! Here is a collection of my very best story re-tellings. I've selected only the very best stories, and by very best I mean stories that have good morals and messages. Alternatively, there are also stories in here that I'm just plain proud of. So browse and enjoy! I hope there's something in here for everyone!

The Queen of the Dead
You've most likely heard the tale of Persephone's capture by Hades and her descent into the Underworld to become his Queen. But have you ever heard the story from her point of view? If not, this story might surprise you!

The Lawless Heart
Based off of the Japanese fairy tale of "Urashima Taro and the Sea Turtle," this story shows how the unexpected kindness from one stranger to another can end up saving a life... and how some systems of government work better for some than others.

The Two Brothers
A tale of love and loss, how pride and the ego can overwhelm and hurt those who love us most. This is a story retelling based off of 'The Quarrel of the Cat and the Dog,' and teaches a very powerful lesson in not allowing greed to control our minds and ambitions.

Little Seal-Girl
A retelling of the Eskimo folk tale, "Attarsuaq", this story shows the strength forged through the bonds of friendship across species.

Semester's End Madness
A sleep-deprived, stress-induced retelling of "How Cormac Mac Art Went to Faery" from the point of view of a college student.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Danni! I’m reviewing your portfolio for my additional project commenting! I am also doing a portfolio, so I wanted to see what others were doing. First of all, I like how you have a short description of the stories you have linked you this page. I chose to read your story “The Lawless Heart” because I also wrote a story base from that unit, so I was a little familiar with it. I really like the pictures you incorporated into your story. They went really well with what was going on, and that makes a big difference for me. This was rather a long story, but your description and use of dialogue really helped with the rhythm and flow of the story. This story is a little bit different from the original, but in the best way possible. You kept the important themes made something more unique and more interesting, in my opinion. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danni- I read your tale of The Two Brothers. The tale itself broke my heart. I really thought that the older brother would be happy to see his baby brother and invite him into his home with rejoicing. I am glad that younger brother was eventually able to be happy and live a comfortable life but I wish that the older brother had gotten some kind of poetic justice, a “you reap what you sow” kind of thing. I was hoping that the elder of the brothers would fall deathly ill and need his brothers healing abilities but alas, it was not so. Aside from that I really enjoyed your tales. The paragraphs were well separated and balanced nicely. I only came across a couple spelling and grammar errors. I think reading over the story one more time would easily clear that up. Again, great job with the tale and I cannot wait to read more of your portfolio :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Danni! First of all, I wanted to tell you that just after skimming your portfolio entry, I was very interesting in reading your stories due to some of the titles. "The Queen of the Dead," for instance, has me very intrigued. I honestly haven't heard of the story that sparked you writing, but I look forward to seeing your perspective or take on it. "The Lawless Heart" also sounds very interesting. I liked that the original story had something to do with a turtle. I've always had a little fascination with turtles, and whatnot. The moral behind the story seemed really touching as well. Kindness can definitely have that affect on the world, or lives in that case. It sounds like you had a lot of fun writing all of these stories. I was glad that you included stories in your introduction that involved good morals, and it was definitely important that you included some of your favorite work. It's very nice that you have these stories that you are so proud of. You definitely should be! Great job!

    ReplyDelete