Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Week 6 Storytelling: The Lawless Heart


There was once a small but productive town at the foot of a mountain. Its citizens were hardy mountain-dwelling folk and their export consisted mostly of lumber and high-mountain grain like amaranth and quinoa.
As with all towns, crime was an issue. Thankfully, crime in this little town was kept to a minimum by the respectable chief deputy, who rode tirelessly through the town on his horse, keeping everything in order. He had been the guardian of the town for years and loved his job. His eyes were hard, but his heart was kind.

One day, as he was trotting through the main plaza while merchants pitched their wares, he caught sight of a woman with matted hair in old, ragged clothes trying to sneak away a loaf of bread.
“Stop this instant!” he shouted.
She looked up at him with wild eyes and took off through the plaza, narrowly avoiding other merchants. The deputy urged his steed after her, jumping over whole carts and people.

He chased her for blocks and finally cornered the woman in an alleyway.
 As his horse approached her, she threw up her hands in helplessness, pleading, “Please, I am hungry and my people have weathered a hard winter. I only steal because I am so poor I have no shoes for myself or my children, and we have not had anything substantial to eat in weeks. For once, turn a blind eye to my poor wretched soul. We have suffered enough.”
The deputy felt a twinge of remorse for the woman. Sighing, he stroked his coarse, black mustache and locked eyes with the woman.
“Take it. But only this once. I keep an orderly town and intend to keep it that way.”
With that, he backed his horse out of the alleyway and back out onto the street.

The Dimitor Mountains
Image: wikipedia

Many years passed and the deputy did not see her again. His town was still in order and crime was at the lowest he had ever seen. After ensuring his other officers were stationed to where the plaza would be looked after, he decided to take time off by riding out into the mountains for the weekend.
He had ridden fifteen miles out of town with his horse and was nearing a part of the forest he was not familiar with. Dusk approached, so he let his horse graze as he set up camp for the night, gathering logs from fallen pine trees for fire.
Suddenly, he heard a startled whinny and hurried back over to his campsite. A huge grizzly bear, bigger than any he had ever seen was attacking his horse! He ran, yelling and waving his hands to scare it away but the bear turned its attention away from the horse to him. The officer drew out his hunting knife as the bear charged him, only to have the beast stop mere feet from him and collapse. He let out a long, shaky breath and noticed a spear shaft sticking out of the shaggy brown back.
Looking up, he saw a familiar face… fuller, healthier, with cleaner hair and better clothes than he last remembered.
“These parts of the woods are dangerous if you don’t know your way around,” she said grimly, walking over to yank the spear out.
 “Help me skin this guy and quarter him up - I don’t live too far from here and your horse needs to be tended.”
Wordless, still shaken from his life-or-death experience, the officer nodded and skinned the beast. The moon was high as he followed the woman back to her camp.

They arrived to a makeshift village of shacks and tee-pee style tents. This woman didn’t live in a town, but a commune! Mildly horrified, the officer avoided eye contact with the members and followed the woman to her tent.
She laid down her quarter of meat on a clean hide and looked at him. “If you were anyone else, I would have turned a blind eye. We don’t like strangers in these parts. We’re a proud, free people that live by our own rules.”
Her eyes gleamed defiantly. The officer nervously stroked his mustache and sighed.
“While I don’t agree with your way of life, I am eternally grateful for you saving me. I don’t know the way back to my town, but I will not burden you for any longer than necessary.”
The woman’s hard eyes softened and she lightly touched his shoulder. “No one should be lost or without a home. We’ll mend your horse and give you shelter until you can head back.”
So the officer stayed in the commune for a month until his horse was better. By then he had learned the lawless ways of the nomads and had begrudgingly found himself liking them more and more. They had a comfortable structure all their own - even without government, they were a happy, thriving community.

The Buffalo Commune in New Mexico, 1967


A month turned into two. Then two months into six. He had fallen in love with the lawless woman and had nearly forgotten about his town, until one day he decided to head back.
“You musn’t,” she begged. “You’ll never come back!”
He assured her that he would return, and not to worry. As he headed back on his horse with a crude map, she wept.
After a hard journey, he came upon familiar streets. He climbed off his horse and fixed his deputy badge to his shirt proudly and strolled down the main street, looking around at boarded windows and empty yards.
Suddenly, a sharp pain gripped him and he looked down to discover an arrowhead protruding from his chest. Gasping, he fell to the ground, coughing back blood as it welled up in his throat.
He looked up and saw two rough men coming towards him, smirking.
“Ain’t no lawmen been here for a while. This town is ours now, deputy,” he heard as he took his dying breath.

Author's Note: 
The word count gets me every. Single. Time. GAH! I wanted to add so much more detail and explanation to this story, but, as always, I would exceed the word count by doing so. At least I got most of what I wanted out of it. 
This story is based on the Japanese fairy tale, "Urashima Taro and the Sea Turtle." In the original story, Urashima is fishing and spares the life of a baby sea turtle. When his life is in danger many years later, he is saved by the same sea turtle and is taken to an underwater palace where he falls in love with a beautiful princess. 
Urashima stays at the palace for an unprecedented amount of time and begins to yearn to see his parents. The princess begs him not to go, saying he'll never return if he does, but he assures her he'll be back. Of course, when he goes to visit his parents he finds out he's actually been gone for three hundred years and everything he once knew is no more. 
I tried keeping to the original theme of the story, but I think this one adopted a new moral all its own: that certain community structures might work for one group of people, whereas others need to be governed and have set laws to function correctly. I think there are some communes out there that work very well (mostly due to their small community size), but larger communities need to have law and structure to operate and function. 
The ending to this was rather quick, but again I blame the word count. It's so hard to wrap things up when you're really wanting to make it juicier. Oh, well! Such is the way of things. 

Bibliography
Title: Uraschimataro and the Sea Turtle
Book: The Violet Fairy Book
Author: Andrew Lang
Year: 1901
Read the original story here!

13 comments:

  1. I thought it was very creative to change the story from a man who helped a sea turtle to an old western theme with a sheriff and beggar woman. You did follow the storyline in the original story, but put lots of extra details in your version, which made it very interesting to read. I could tell by your description how the sheriff felt when he first arrived in the commune and then how he grew to love the community and stayed with them for quite some time.
    For me, some of the sentences seemed a little long. Maybe breaking them into smaller sentences would make it a little easier to read. Also, this is just my preference, but the white lettering on a darker background makes it harder for me to read. The white letters seem really bright and it's hard to look at for very long.
    I love your choice of pictures. They help me visualize the sheriff walking around in the mountains/forest and then ending up in a commune with tee pees and such. I can imagine the scenery being lush and vibrant in color like in the pictures you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danni,
    Loved this story! I love that you struggle with the opposite end of the word count than most people probably do. I love that you get so passionate about writing the perfect story that you throw the unwritten rules of minimal effort in class out the window; it's refreshing! You are awesome!
    I found myself sucked into your story from the get-go which is a sign that you are a a very talented writer! I also didn't read the same unit as you so getting to read a story from another unit is fun. I also agree with Krista about your pictures- they really do help give such a good visual to accompany the story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed how much detail you put into this story! It definitely helped me feel like I was seeing everything with my own eyes. I also really like that you kept it a tragic love story. I'm a sucker for any kind of love story, so this one was right up my alley. As far as word count goes, I wish I had your problem! I'm quite opposite, although it's slowly gotten better. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed your story! It was very descriptive, and I could picture the whole thing in my head just like a movie! I imagine John Wayne might’ve played such a character… but I digress. Your storytelling style was very engaging and interesting to read. I did find the introduction to the story to give a good idea of what the town was like, but if you wanted to add more detail to the end of the story, I would suggest taking out some of the detail at the beginning. It would give you more room to play with during your somewhat abrupt end to the tale, and it would make the beginning of the story flow a little better, I think. But overall, I love the story you told. It really spoke to the kind of people I think more people should be: compassionate, kind, loving, etc. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool story with an actual application to the real world in the author's note. I never knew what was going to happen next, first I thought that the woman was going to come back and steal more, and then I thought that the man was never going to leave the commune, and then I had no idea that he was going to die! What a bummer… Great story though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was nice to see this story unfold through dialogue and vivid descriptions of the small town.

    However, it seemed that your story was basically one huge paragraph. This made it extremely difficult to keep track of where I was while reading. Furthermore, the dialogue was typically embedded in the text, and that made it hard to extract what the characters were saying.

    One thing I might suggest is using a bit more descriptive imagery when setting the scenes for your characters' actions. You hint at this several times during the introduction, and then again throughout the story, but it still lacks the clarity and focus required to develop a well-created landscape, I believe.

    The photo you used is great…however, the place looks extinct. If it were populated, it would be even better. The mountain scene is very appropriate, though.

    As for the pic of the buffalo commune, I think you've hit the nail on the head. It's perfect for what you're describing in the latter part of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Danni, I thought this was a great story! I was interested the entire time and that's not easy to do! Although maybe a little harsh...I think there is some truth to Cole's comment above. I think by breaking up the dialogue and paragraphs it will make it much more easy for the reader to understand the story and it'll be easier to get through the story.

    I thought your picture was good and it gave a good tone and depicted the setting of your story quite well! I applaud you for stick with the Japanese Mythology. I started reading some of the stories from the Japanese unit and I couldn't really get into it so I quit reading from the unit. You made these stories much more interesting and I can tell you are enjoying both reading and writing for this unit!

    I think this is a great story and very creative. I know it can be hard to stay in the guidelines, so job well done! You did a great job and I am looking forward to reading more from you in the future! Thanks for the good read and stay safe in the snow storm outside!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed this story as well. The set up from how he helped the woman leading up to being saved by her all flowed really nicely. I would suggest some paragraph breaks (which you did on the other story I commented on), as it was much easier reading the other story when it was formatted better. I really liked the cruelty of fate ending, not all stories have to have a happy ending! Great job on this story as well, you're a really talented writer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Danni, I thought this was a really great story! I loved how you set up the setting and then developed the characters. The use of dialogue was great in this character development, and it really made the story come to life. You used a lot of great description and detail in making this town come alive, and it helped me picture what was happening.

    Here are just a few suggestions I saw as I was reading:
    You said, "With that, he backed his horse out of the alleyway and back out onto the street." I think you should take out the second back and just say out onto the street so it gets rid of the repetitive word. Other than that, I would just look at using active verbs rather than passive to make the story even better.

    But overall, this is one of my favorite stories! I thought it was so great and it makes me so sad that he died at the end...he should have stayed in the camp! Gahhh...but I really loved the story and how you wrote it! Great job and I look forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all, I love the index to your portfolio. It was very helpful as I made my decision of which story to read. I chose this story because I also read the original story in one of my units and I was intrigued by your description in the index of your own version. I like that you added the element of community structures into your story while sticking with the general theme of the original. Your pictures added a lot to the story and I like how you placed them throughout the text. I understand how hard it can be to stay within the word count! I would have loved to have read more about how the man and woman fell in love and about their life together in the commune, but I know it would have been too many words to add in! I really like your writing style. It flows well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness. This story was amazing. I'm not going to lie, when I first saw how long your story was, I kind of sighed to myself. But honestly, after reading it, I'm pretty much begging for more. Wow, I love all of the directions that your story went. I think it's amazing how your made such a full story from the original story.
    I think it's awesome that they were able to fall in love and he got to see how the nomads lived, and even enjoyed it.
    I was definitely NOT expecting for him to be murdered like that at the end! That was such a crazy twist. I never thought about what might have happened back in his town without him there. I think that's a really important part of the story that I think I would have overlooked, but I love that you didn't.
    You should expand this story into it's own book! I want to know all of the details! I love it, amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Despite you worrying about the word count, you did a very good job of keeping the story concise yet descriptive and logical. It was a very good read! You definitely should be proud of the way you handled the overall content of the story especially the ending: it was a awesome, cruel twist in irony that the sheriff was killed, but it really added to the story.
    If there was one place for improvement, I would recommend that you make the narrative leaps, or leaps in logic, much less work for the reader. For example, I found it hard to believe that the sheriff just forgot about the town he cared about for so long. Be careful of leaps in logic like that, OR, if you're going to leave them in, try to add in more detail about why the leap in logic isn't that dramatic (again, this is where the word count thing gets people).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey,

    This is another great story. You are really a great writer. The effort that you put into your storytelling does not go unnoticed. I struggle to meet the minimum word count. You do not and that is good. The only thing that I would suggest is spacing your paragraphs more.

    ReplyDelete