Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Week 2 Storytelling: The Queen of the Dead


My story is not for the faint of heart. But its morals are clear: sometimes, what we need comes to us disguised as disaster.

It started one fine day in Spring. I was out gathering flowers with my friends in the glade next to the Pergus spring, known for its magical waters. The sun sifted through the trees to shine down speckled onto the flowers and shrubs below, hiding my friends and me in golden camofluage. My skirts were already filled to the hem with crocuses, lilies, violets, dandelions, and those prized Tyrian purple flowers. My heart was light and happy, in the way only a girlish heart can be.

But deep within that girlish heart was a fierce longing. Though I was still young, my first blood had come and gone and by that rite I was already a woman. My mother, proud Demeter, refused to acknowledge that the time had come for me to go find my own path, to pave out my own trail of greatness as she had eons ago. I played the part of her little girl, but the wildness in my heart grew with each passing day.

persephone Gathering Flowers
"Gathering Flowers" by Albert Lynch
Image: Medea's Lair

The daydreams which dared to take me away from my girlish prison drowned out all my other senses and in that moment that same wildness in my heart manifested itself in the form of dread black horses whisking a chariot that moved deathly silent. I saw not my kidnapper’s face, but I felt his strong arms encircle me and snatch me from my childish daydreams. I cried out in surprise rather than fear as the flowers tumbled out of my skirts and into the waters of the fabled spring. Like an ill omen, I knew those trampled flowers marked the end of my childhood.

My captor and I raced across the countryside, going so fast that my vision blurred and I struggled to see where we were going. The winds tore the cries of help from my mouth and I beat uselessly upon his chest with my fists.

A beautiful nymph tried to stop him, to dissuade him from taking me, but my captor was merciless. With one blow from his scepter he commanded the Earth to open and we plummeted down into darkness, the dank earth swallowing my cries for help.

Beyond that, nobody on Earth knows what happened next. Most think the worst of my husband, my Hades, but he did not force me as Zeus forced so many other women. He gave me a room that was a section of a cave and did not speak to me for days.

I wept bitter tears during that time. Mourner’s tears. I wept for the true end of my childhood, for the unknown future, for my surely distraught mother. I was sequestered away somewhere in Hell with no way out.

After several days - I cannot tell you how long - I ventured from my room to explore. My door was a tangle of vines which wove together to make a green curtain. Outside was a long corridor lit by glowing orbs of light. My room was the only one with a ‘door’, and the rest seemed unoccupied.

I explored for several hours and discovered that the Underworld really was not as horrible as the Olympic deities had made it out to be. There was an ethereal glowing quality to everything, even to the river Styx which glided silently by.

I came upon an orchard and realized I couldn’t remember the last time I had eaten, so fraught with grief and shock I had been. Without thinking, I plucked a ripe pomegranate from one of the trees and savored the juice from seven seeds before the crack of a twig made me turn around.

There he stood - solemn and quiet, tall and foreboding in his black cloak. His face betrayed no emotion but his eyes burned with quiet fire. Silently, he knelt and presented a bouquet of the exact same flowers I had been picking when he stole me away.

“Your mother is scouring all of Earth looking for you. She misses you dearly,” he started, glancing upwards.

“I know.” I answered quietly, accepting his offering.

He stood, taller than night, taller than Olympus and clasped one of my delicate hands in his cold pale ones. A heavy silence hung between us.

“Forgive me. In all my eons of existence, I have never felt such passion, such reverence, such devotion, as when I set these tired eyes on you,” he confessed, sighing as his thumb stroked the top of my hand.

“I know this is not a world you are used to,” he continued, those eyes of cold fire searching mine, “but here you would rule. Here, you would stand with me, and together we would have a kingdom of the dead. No one would be able to force you or command you. You would be your own person, and….” he stopped, his gaze lowering... “Hopefully, my Queen.”

I tore my gaze from his and looked at his underground kingdom. The orchard, though in the domain of the dead, was alive and fruitful. There were springs, rivers, and even small flowers. Everything I had learned about Hades had turned out to be lies.

Queen. Queen of the Dead, Queen of a domain none of the other Gods, save for Hades, could govern.

“I accept. I will rule by your side,” I whispered, trembling. “But give me time. I am not accustomed to you or your world, yet.”

“For you, I would give all the time since the formation of the Cosmos.”
Hades and Persephone by Puistopulu
Hades and Persephone
Image: Puistopulu

My love story is not typical. One could say it started off with a bribe, but it continues to be one of the best things to have ever happened to me. I make my own rules and reign over a kingdom which even the highest of Gods trembles to visit. My fate was not so terrible as the myths made it out to be.

Author’s Note: So, if you can’t tell, I like taking stories that appear to have a dark theme and then telling them from a point of view which makes them seem not so bad. Here, I told the story from Persephone’s point of view. Maybe in the myths she truly was forced by Hades and had an awful time in the underworld, but what if that wasn't the case? What if she was just looking for a way out from under her mother’s protective wing?

It was difficult for me to tell what happened to her after the initial kidnapping because I didn't want to stick to how the original myth was told and have him 'take' her. For one, that would be very difficult to write, just because of the emotional scarring it would cause and second, I wanted to make this more of a happy story. Thus, I just had him toss her in a cell so she could figure things out.

There were many ways to tell this story; I had originally thought about telling it from the point of view of Hades, but I can't imagine kidnapping anyone, so I wouldn't be able to follow his thought process realistically. I've been hit by one of Cupid's arrows before, but not quite so thoroughly as Hades had.

I also had a difficult time conveying the color of their eyes, their composure, and just overall demeanor because these are Gods I'm writing about. To me, it's impossible to describe their beauty, the actual color of their eyes, or the grace with which they walk. That was one of the larger road blocks I ran into while writing this.

I know the writing style for this is really cheesy and prose-like, but I felt an ample helping of cheese helped to tell the story better. I promise not all my re-tellings will be this way. :)

Bibliography
Title: Dis and Proserpine 
Book: Ovid's Metamorphoses
Author: Tony Kline
Year: 2000

12 comments:

  1. I loved your story. You made it so descriptive that I felt like I could truly see what she was seeing. I like that you made such a dark theme into something different. I liked how such a horrible start between the characters could create such a beautiful ending. I look forward to being able to read more of your storytellings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your story. I also read Ovid's Metamorphoses and was particularly interested in the story of Persephone and Hades. I agree that writing about someone being sexually assaulted isn't an easy thing to do, but I think the fact that she was locked up instead really fit better with your version of the story anyways. I thought the language and style you used was very appropriate for the writing. I always have a very hard time being overly descriptive because it isn't my natural type of writing, but I thought from the beginning with "The sun sifted through the trees to shine down speckled onto the flowers and shrubs below" you established both that it was a story and that it would paint a picture in the reader's mind. I know you had trouble with describing gods, but I think the way you described specific aspects (His face betrayed no emotion but his eyes burned with quiet fire) still really made it clear. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You did a great job writing this story. I thought your writing style was perfect for the story and really fit theme of your story well. You used good words and phrases that made the story fit the mythological feel. I'm impressed with how you made this dark story into somewhat of a happy story. I thought it was cool that she made the best out of her situation and the bad guy turned out to be not so bad. I agree, it would have been hard to write this story from the perspective of Hades. You did a great job adding your own personality and perspective to the story. Your picture added a lot of visual to the reader's imagination as well. Great job, I am looking forward to reading more stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your presentation of both characters is descriptively excellent, especially Hades, but I found it unfortunate that we never get a clear modus operendi from him. Many people and I know how the original story goes and Hades' reason for taking Persephone, but those who haven't read it might be a little in the dark. If anything, I would definitely give Hades' explanation of his own actions more depth: in your story, he just up and takes Persephone without a single regard to anyone else. And even though you write that he's aware that Persephone's mother worries about her, I never get the feeling that your Hades' feels remorse. And that kind of makes him seem like a kidnapper and Persephone is undergoing a sudden surge of Stockholm Syndrome in the last few paragraphs.

    However, I will say that for most of the story, especially the build-up, that you made it very convincing to believe that Persephone would be easily swept off her feet by some dashing gentleman. You're very good about putting the audience in her mindset, despite how flighty and giddy she's portrayed. Great job overall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked your story a lot! It was filled with so much detail and I didn't want to stop reading it, even at the end. You did a great job of painting this story that most people see as twisted or morose as something that maybe isn't how we think it was. The way you laid it out as going from kidnapping to mutual agreement was a nice set up. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danni!
    I loved this story! I never really thought about this story from Persephone’s point of view. The happy ending spin that you put on the story was great! As I have mentioned and many of the comments I have left on other stories, I love when people take stories and write them in the point of view of another character. It is always fun to see two different sides of a story. The hopeless romantic in me loved the way you described the interaction between Hades and Persephone during their first meeting. The way you described the way Hades looked to Persephone and the timid way he talked to her literally made me swoon and sigh. Your description of Persephone’s childhood at the beginning was beautiful. I think we all go through the process of growing up and wanting to branch out from our parents but still want to keep a piece of our childlike innocence and wonder. I absolutely enjoyed this story and can’t wait to read some of your other stories. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alright, you got me with that title. Queen of the Dead? I'M IN! I love that you told the story of Persephone, I feel like she is looked over in a lot of mythology and stories. Your opening was PERFECT. I love the lesson you aim to teach and agree that the universe is a mysterious place and sometimes the worst situations turn out to be blessings in disguise. I love your writing style and felt totally engaged with your story the whole time. You did a great job of evoking emotion and conveying the deep-set grief and fear that Persephone initially felt. I also liked that Hades was portrayed as, essentially, a hopeless romantic who was lost and, in finding her, had finally found the final piece of himself (even if he went about "courting" her a little.. inappropriately). I also like the images you chose. It was a great contrast between the young, naive girl picking flowers and the dark image of her holding Hades' hands. AWESOME JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there again, Dannie! This was such a touching story because your writing was fantastic! I was drawn into the story from the choice in vocabulary as well as the symbolism and metaphors you use to create an understanding of the story. I loved the way you described the main characters struggle of dealing with who she wants to be from who she people see her/want her to be. The only thing I would change within your story is just some small grammar errors. There are some places where your verbs need to be in past tense because your story is from the past. For example, the last sentence of the second paragraph, I think you should put “could” instead of “can”. Another grammar error, possibly, is when you say “rite” in the third paragraph. I am not sure if you wanted to put night or right? Maybe just take a look at those two things and other than that, the story was a fantastic read. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked how you wrote this story. Taking dark stories and making them appear brighter is also one of my favorite things to do. I think that it can really leave a much happier note on the reading. Your style and flow throughout the whole story was really great. It was very easy and pleasing to read and made sense throughout the entire story. I also really enjoyed the theme of your blog. It has a very clean look to it. The colors give me a very soft feeling. I like to think of it as a happy and cheerful theme, but that could possibly be because of the story. You also did a really good job at developing your characters throughout the entire story. I really felt like I knew them at the end of the story. You overall did a great job with this, and I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is an excellent story telling post! By far one of the best pieces I have read for the class this entire semester. You really managed to transform the perception of this story and really accomplished an established change in the tone and demeanor of the story plot. The level of detail in your post also helped to keep your story very vibrant and definitely worked to keep your reader at full attention. Your vocabulary and sentence structure made this into a very nicely done post. I think you also did a really good job of coming up with a believable thought process for your character. The thought process you outline really can be seen weaving into the original plot line and goes with the original story even though you are forming something new and original. Once again, this post is simply brilliant and you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this story! I really enjoy Greek mythology and have been interested in it since high school so I was really interested in this story. In Greek mythology there are some conflicting things within different stories of Persephone so I think you did a great job of playing to that with the "no one really knows" aspect after she disappears down into the earth. You did a great job of giving us a new perspective on this tale by having Persephone be the character telling it. I liked the fact that you brought in the pomegranate but still made it her choice to remain there and rule with Hades. Overall I think you did a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your perspective is very interesting. From what I remember, the seasons were supposed to be based on Demeter's feeling, and not Persephone's, so it is entirely plausible that she was happy with Hades. I have heard from many people that they had an arranged marriage, but grew to love their spouses. Maybe this is how it was for her, an marriage arranged by Cupid.

    ReplyDelete